Friday, January 27, 2006

 

A Boy Named Michael

As some of you may know, every Friday afternoon Kathy and I go to Amy's school and tutor / mentor some children. Today I got a new boy named Michael. Michael is the the 4th grade. He should be in the 5th but that did not happen. Michael was to meet with me this afternoon, but just before time his teacher came to the family counselor and told her Michael was in the office because he had been disrespectful to her. The family counselor asked for me to wait while she went to the office to see if he could be released to meet with me.

Michael is, again, in the 4th grade. He is also on probation for shoplifting at Oshmans. He also is possibly going to become a ward of the state as his mother is considering giving up her parental rights because she just does not want him anymore. Yesterday he stayed home alone because he was sick. The family counselor said she received a phone call from him saying CPS had just turned the electricity off at his apartment. She went to work on that.

Michael was allowed to come meet with me. Very quiet at first but I had a picture left over from last week of the dolphins in Hawaii. I gave it to him and immediately he warmed up to me. We talked about what he likes to do. He likes to draw. He also likes football. We talked for a while and then played a game of Connect Four. He was very good at it and had a great time. I asked if he would like to meet with me next Friday and he immediately said yes. I asked him to bring me some of his drawings. He is suppose to be a very talented artist. So we have set a time for next Friday afternoon for Michael and me to meet and talk and do whatever to try to help this little boy feel like he is liked and needed. So sad.

Everyone hug your children tonight and tell them how much you love them for there are children who tonight will go home and go to bed and never know what it is like to be loved.

till then

Comments:
Sure has been awhile since you last posted...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?